“IF ONLY YOU KNEW THE
POWER OF THE DARK SIDE…”
@SOUTH WEST TECHNICAL DIVING
Are you ready for CCR?
At some point in a divers technical development, the subject of CCR v Open Circuit will be raised. On one hand will be die hard OC divers who will delight in telling you how dangerous CCR is and how many ways it can hurt you. On the other hand experienced and disciplined CCR divers will be able to tell you how much safer CCR is, how much more time it gives you to solve problems and highlight the significant advantages,
- 3-6 hours of dive time/resources
- Warm, moist air to breathe
- Ideal mix for every and any depth for the whole dive
- More efficient decompression
- Once mastered, easy buoyancy
- Silent, no bubble diving
When to make the move?
Up to 45-50m OC will be a good tool, but Helium prices, gas consumption and stage cylinder load will at some point make CCR not just advantageous for diving reasons, but also financial ones. The raw numbers on 2021 Helium prices are
- 14-18 dives in the 50-60m range per year and CCR will save on costs over OC helium (ask for calcs but assuming JJ purchased and costs written down over 5 years, inc training, lime, consumables such as cells etc, bailout and fills)
- Bottom times will be hugely extended on CCR at greater depths as gas consumption on CCR does not change with depth.
However economics should not be the only decision and the other advantages of CCR which if dived with rigour and discipline enhance both enjoyment and safety n a dive, often mean the decision is valid on fewer deeper dives per year. (do enough to be current and skilled though!)
Finally we think decompression procedures level is a good place to move to CCR. Enough OC tech experience to manage gas switching bailout ascents, but not too big a step backwards in diving for say an OC trimix diver to have to go back to 30 or 45m diving for a year.
Best bet, have a coffee and chat to us, good advice in plenty, terrible sales technique!
set up a
with a jedi
an online chat
with a sith
TRAINING THAT WILL FOREVER
CHANGE THE WAY YOU DIVE!!
ARE YOU COVERED?
If you plan on traveling and diving,
get one of Diveassure’s exclusive
and comprehensive Dive & Travel